Your Ad Here

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Andy's Dandy Once Again



The Yankees successfully landed themselves a left handed starter, but it wasn’t exactly the one they had been aiming for in the past week or so. While he may not be Johan Santana, the Yankees are still plenty happy enough to have Andy Pettitte back in pinstripes for one more season. Despite recent statements that Pettitte was leaning towards retirement, Pettitte has announced that he will return to the Yankees for the 2008 season. Pettitte received a contract identical to what his player option would have been, one year, $16 million. Sure it is still a lot of money for somebody who may post an ERA in the 4’s again but Pettitte provides invaluable leadership in the rotation and is the real ace of the staff. Pettitte was the most consistent pitcher last year and the one who could be trusted in the playoffs (sorry Wang). Interestingly enough, despite the fact that Pettitte has seriously considered retirement the past two seasons, Pettitte has made comments that he plans to pitch beyond next season, possibly for well after next season. Pettitte was quoted as saying “I really believe now, especially after playing with the Astros and pitching with my elbow the way it was when I needed surgery, I realize now I could probably go out and pitch until I’m 45 years old, because I was throwing 82, 83 mph and still being able to compete, maybe because I’m left handed or whatever. For me, the thing of me not being able to go out there and get any guys out, I think that’s so far down the road, probably, that’s never going to play into my decision.” Confidence is always a good thing to have, but being so confidant about being an effective pitcher until you’re 45 may be a bit too ambitious. It’s not exactly something you see every day, unless you’re name is Roger Clemens, although Pettitte could likely remain an effective reliever until then if he chose to since he is left handed. Perhaps he can work out a long term deal with the Yankees at some point during the season, although probably not one for another ten years. Regardless, the Yankees are thrilled to have Pettitte back as he is likely to repeat his 2007 performance next year while mentoring the young pitchers.

No comments: